How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I rented a flat in the beginning of December. Visiting the

Customer Question

I rented a flat in the beginning of December. Visiting the flat in the beginning of November I highlighted some issues with the flat that I needed resolved before accepting the flat. (replacement of chairs, painting). The flat also comes with a storage cage in the garage. Mid November I notified the property manager asking that everything be in working order, plumbing electrical etc.I moved in on the 1st of December..The storage cage downstairs is locked with someone else stuff.. Management company said they needed two weeks to notify the building and 1 week to clean the stuff out.. It has exceeded this time frame and I am currently paying storage elsewhereA couple days after moving in I noticed the dishwasher does not work. I notified the company, it has been 3 weeks no resolve. Said they would need to contact the Landlord to get approval. (the landlord is a company based in Hong Kong (as signed on agreement))Chairs pointed out beginning of November, have not been resolved. Its been over 2 months. This was agreed upon before moving into the apartment. (on the day I moved in, they told me it had to be ordered).Several emails to management company, no response. I even sent them a letter saying they are in breach of contract.What can I legally do? Can I hold off paying rent until it is all resolved?Can I send them the invoice for my storage locker that I am currently paying for? Or can I reduce the rent paid? What are my next steps?Thanks,Andrew
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know what is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like all defects fixed, and compensation for their screw up. I would like them to pay for my storage locker. I would like a definite time they will fix and compensation
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You can't hold off paying rent you would be in breach of the agreement and could be evicted.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?