How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Friend Is going to buy me out of house which we originally

This answer was rated:

Friend Is going to buy me out of house which we originally bought to live in .It is a mutual agreement and we have shared ownership and agreed an amount to be paid. He has savings to be able to buy me out in full. What do we need to do now? He wants to rent it out . Do we have to tell mortgage company if we transfer the deeds to his name ? as I'm not sure he could secure mortgage on his own. The current mortgage has a change of use clause and therefore could be rented out on the current mortgage. So if he buys me out is there a basic agreement I can sign to defer any interest I have in the property ? Thanks
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Are you willing to remain on the mortgage even though it may mean that you cannot get another one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no plans to be getting another mortgage in the next 5/6 years , property would probably be sold by then anyway
The deeds of the property cannot be changed unless the mortgage company also release you from the mortgage.
However you and your friend can sign a Declaration of Trust that states that whilst the property remains in joint names only your friend will receive the proceeds of sale
You shoudl make sure that there is wording which allows you to insist on the sale in the event that you do need a new mortgage
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok that sounds fine ,perhaps i can also mention in the trust that i will be exempt from any future costs ? Am i correct in saying that as i will no longer have any monetary interest in the property the tax returns on letting the property will be my friend's responsibility ?
That would be a standard part of a Declaration of Trust - and yes the tax returns would be his responsibility
Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you