How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My wife an I live in a private school rented property with

This answer was rated:

My wife an I live in a private school rented property with a low monthly rent and have been since 1988 so assume I am in a protected tenancy. The school wish to increase the rent by 3 and to convert me to an AST. Can they without my agreement.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you, an assured short hold tenant you have a lot of rights, they can't make you give it up. They can't also put up your rent a lot. It can only be fair rent. If they try to you can appeal to a tribunal.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Fantastic! Just to add detail in case it alters anything. They have moved me twice into other but equivalent acommodation but I assume this will not matter as I was still employed by them. I am also assuming that my employment with them will not make much difference until I elect to leave the job. They also agreed that, very recently, I could work part time - 3 days a week. These issues should not affect the rental tenancy I have with the school.
No that is right,
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. This is a tremendous weight off my mind and I am very grateful for your help. If anything comes to mind later I will contact you again. I have a meeting tomorrow but I don't think they realise the type of tenancy I have. Thank you once again.
Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cannot have that! Money well spent to me.Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Help - again. I have just spotted in my original contract of employment I signed 1988 a section called 'Licence to Occupy Accommodation.' Section 2 says "The Accommodation shall be personal to the Teacher who shall occupy it without payment (I do pay rent and always have done) - save only for gas or consumed and telephone charges incurred - as a service licensee and not as a tenant."Does this mean what I think? That I am not a protected tenant? Apologies for not seeing this before. However a quick hunt round the internet does seem to offer varying opinions and rulings leaving me confused and worried - again!
Ah. This appears to be a licence, which means you have no protection. So if you leave I think y will be asked to leave and therefore the license will end.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So despite various discussions and cases - street v Montford I have been reading for example, means that the fact that I signed the contract makes it binding.I also found this: Lord Templeman stated: it was emphasized that merely calling something a licensee does not necessarily make it one. Instead the reality of what had been agreed had to be discerned. What distinguishing a tenancy from a licensee was that in reality a tenant enjoyed exclusive possession of the property occupied (right to exclude others) whereas licensee does not.I do have exclusive use of the property.My contract actually goes on to say "The teacher shall not, without the consent of the employer, permit any other person to occupy the Accommodation with the Teacher other than the Teacher's spouse and unmarried children. Or am I now starting to clutch at straws?
Indeed. I am not saying it's impossible it's just very hard. I agree in that a licence is not a licence just because it's called that. You have a complex legal argument up ahead.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply - I suspected as much! A lot of stress and legal fees which as a teacher I can ill afford.Thank you for your help once again. I will hunt for a solicitor near me.Best wishes, Marcus
Best of luck