How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Please can you confirm if we need to place a deposit

This answer was rated:

Please can you confirm if we need to place a deposit from a student want to rent our property. This would be a HMO and not an assured shorthold tenancy.
Many thanks
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How long is their agreement for please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I have found this information on the government website. I am not offering an AST and it would be for a year.Your landlord must put your deposit in a government-approved tenancy deposit protection scheme if you have an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) that started after 6 April 2007 (in England and Wales).
How long are they renting it for, a year? How many people are staying?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alex. I have three students wanting to rent, one of them is my daughter. I am not offering an AST and can only find information on placing desposits on a scheme if it is an AST. Please can you advise me.
Do they share facilities?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Own bedrooms, but share kitchen, lounge, bathrrom and garden.
Are they individual agreements or did they all sign one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Individual tenancies, all unrelated people to each other.
Ok. Then this sounds like a licence. As such you don't need to protect the deposit as its not an AST.
So no you do not need to protect.
Does that help?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you