How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We let our flat short term few weeks while away

This answer was rated:

We let our flat short term for a few weeks while away and now that we are back the tenant is refusing to move out. How do we get them to leave?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
I am assuming they rent the whole property. If they a real refusing to leave then you need to apply to the court for possession. Write and ask them to leave or say you will seek a court order.
You need to complete form N5
The court will set the matter down and decide whether to give possession. Once you have possession the tenant can be evicted,
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do we still need to get a possession order if it was for a couple of weeks and there is no contract? also this was a sublet, the current tenancy ends in March. Where can I go live now, this is my primary residence?
Yes. You must must must get a possession order otherwise it would be an unlawful eviction and you could be sued. Sadly you need to stay with friends or at a hotel. But all these costs can be claimed.
I am sorry it's not better news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know their full name or any of their details. I only know their first name. can I just put that on the form? how long does it take to take them out with the possession order?
Yes that is all you can do. It can take a month to get an order.
I am sorry it's not better news but I have a duty to be honest.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I see. Thank you for your honesty.What if I just move back in an change the locks?
You could be sued for an illegal eviction and be prosecuted.
Does that help?
Ash and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you for your help.