How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

First time I recently purchased an apartment from

This answer was rated:

Hi, for the first time I recently purchased an apartment from auction. To say the least the vendors lawyer was belligerent, slow and unhelpful resulting in us to running out of time and he issued a default notice. This cost us over £200 in extra fees and charges. We also had the threat of loosing our £10,000 deposit. In the event we just had to complete hoping all was correct to stop this happening. My lawyer has now told us that the vendors solicitor forgot to include £104 for a local search from his completion statement. I am not inclined to pay this but he is now refusing to forward the lease so our lawyer can register the property in my name.
Can he do this, surely he It was his incompetence so it is his loss.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. The vendor's solicitor seems to have been negligent but you are not his client and have no right to sue for breach of contract (e.g. his negligence / failure to carry out work with reasonable skill and care etc.) However, the vendor's solicitor does have a duty under the Solicitors Code of Conduct to act properly and not bring the profession into disrepute. If he has acted improperly, the Solicitors Regulation Authority has power to discipline, impose sanctions and order compensation. You have no choice but to pay the additional fee I'm afraid. But having paid I recommend that you lodge a complaint with the SRA at You can also go to the Legal Ombudsman directly at Alice
Alice H and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you