How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

My title deeds specify that I have 20 foot wide rights of access

This answer was rated:

My title deeds specify that I have 20 foot wide rights of access over the land shown in blue on the attached map. The land shown blue is narrower - more like 8 foot - for half its length. Do I have access over neighbouring land to bring the width up to 20 foot for the entire length?
Hello. Generally, "once a right of way always a right of way", so yes, you have rights over the 20ft width. However, if the width has been narrowed by a wall, fence or building, and this has been in place for a number of years, a court might find that the access right has been varied by the actions of the parties to now only be over the remaining width. What do you use the right for (ie access with vehicles etc)? WB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the land shown in blue was purchased as a separate parcel, so has never been 20 foot wide for its entire length.
I think it must have been 20 ft wide at some point, otherwise the grant of the right is a nonsense. However, if it has been only 8 ft wide for a very long time, then your rights will now be limited to that width - the law will infer an intention to amend the right rom 20ft to 8ft where the change has been physically in place for many years. It seems that you cannot now seek to enforce a right over a 20ft strip of land. Sorry! Please don't forget to leave a rating. Best, WB
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you