How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have recently been the victim of storm Frank which took away

This answer was rated:

I have recently been the victim of storm Frank which took away my chimney and damaged my cob wall. Apparently I am underinsured by my policy by nearly 50% , unknowingly , I thought I was covered by the sum insured figure which is index linked but apparently not. The sum insured is not the same as the rebuilding costs which the RSA base their claims on. They will only pay 51,81% of the £10,000 claim, leaving me to pay the rest, which I can ill afford as a pensioner. This is the first I have heard about a rebuilding figure. I am told now that rebuilding costs for cob and thatch property, which it is my misfortune to own, have soared out of all proportion. How can an ordinary consumer know her property is underinsured, if no one advises her of this, and also if the sum assured is not the same as the rebuilding cost? Have I any redress at all in this matter?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Have you written and complained to the Insurance Company at all>?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't as yet. My relative's say it is a pointless exercise and will get me no where.
You need to write and make a formal complaint. That will be investigated and they will give you a final response. Once you have the final response and only then can you go to the Financial Ombudsman. They can consider your complaint and are independent. Their website is:
But if they decide against you in reality that is the end of the matter I am sorry to say. But you can't go to the Ombudsman until you have a final decision.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you