How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have lived in our house years the neighbours have

This answer was rated:

We have lived in our house for 15 years the neighbours have lived in their house for 16 years. Our driveways adjoin each other along the full length. Because of actions we have been told about and the actions of our neighbours by driving up out driveway and then pulling over onto their own driveway we believe they are going to try to establish a right of way across our driveway. How can we stop this from happening? At the present time we have private driveway and private parking signs installed.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How many years have they been pulling across your driveway for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On and of just the far end since we moved in but recently they are pulling nearly all the way up the driveway and photographing themselves doing this.
OK. You can therefore ask them to stop or indeed put a small fence up stopping them. If they do it for 20 years then they have a prescriptive right. So if you stop it now, by asking them to stop or putting up a very small fence, then that right will be extinguished.
You could always get a Solicitor to write to them offering a licence (which gives no rights) to allow them to do it.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I will most likely go down the route of getting a solicitor to write and ask them to stop at least this way I will have proof that they have been requested to stop.