How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

We have an Edwardian house with a very small wooden extension

This answer was rated:

We have an Edwardian house with a very small wooden extension built on the back ( so small it didn't need planning permission when it was built by my husband). Today my husband noticed a mistake on our home buildings insurance and contacted the company concerned and in explaining the mistake described this add-on at the back of the house. They are now saying that they cannot insure the house as it is not on the title needs and built without planning permission. Is this true and if so what can we do about it?
Hello. They can refuse to insure you for any reason, in reality, but it is a nonsense in this case - the extension wouldn't be "on your title deeds". Title deeds relate to land and not buildings on the land (other than by the fact they are attached to it). You are not insuring your land, you are ensuring the building(s) on it. Accordingly, the buildings have nothing to do with the title to your land, to which the deeds relate. In terms of planning permission, if this was an extension done under Permitted Development rights (ie small extensions are allowed without the need for planning under such rights) then clearly the insurers can't complain you don't have planning permission, because it was not legally required. They seem to be being rather silly! If they persist with this, I suggest you tell them you're taking your business elsewhere! Best, WB
wingrovebuyer and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello - has this answered your question? Best, WB