How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10949
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

We are currently in a property that has 6.5 acres and we want

Customer Question

We are currently in a property that has 6.5 acres and we want to split this, we have a barn on one side of the property which we have planning permission on. We need to divide the land so that we can sell the house which we are living in and have a mortgage on to convert them barn for us to live in. We cannot do this until we have sold the property as we need the equity from the property to start. how do we go about doing this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Essentially, what you need to do is to split the Folio in the Land Registry and create two Folios, one containing the house and the other containing the barn. This can be done by you. However, I would suggest you get a solicitor to do this for you. Additionally, you should get a surveyor to accurately draw up the boundary between the two plots so that the boundary line is correct and is properly set out in the plan map attached to the new Folios in the Land registry. In the meantime, once have divided the property into two, you can place the house to be sold with an estate agent or auctioneer with a view towards solicitor bids to buy the property. In this way you can speed up the process of sale and the realisation of monies from your property to develop the new build and conversion in the barn.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.