How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

A car ran into my next door neighbour's front wall and

This answer was rated:

A car ran into my next door neighbour's front wall and fence which was replaced through his insurance. At the same time he had the boundary fence replaced as 3 panels had fallen down - which could have been due to wind but the insurance company say it's my shrubs that have pushed the fence over. The style is expensive with curved tops to the panels. I wasn't consulted about it that all but now he's written to me that his insurance doesn't cover the cost of the whole boundary fence, only the cost of the 3 damaged panels. He's approached me for the first time about the fence as he wants me to consider contributing towards the cost. Apparently, as I haven't seen the contractor's bill, the cost for the boundary fence section, presuming it's the whole fence mins 3 panels, was £1210.65. The original fence was put up about 18 years ago by the neighbour, it was an ordinary one with wooden posts. Brenda
Hello. On the assumption this is not a party boundary (you say it is the neighbour's fence) and you were not consulted about its replacement, I suggest you tell your neighbour that you are not willing to contribute anything. You do not seem to be obliged to contribute anything - it is his fence and he decided to replace the whole thing, rather than deal with replacing the three panels with a like for like replacement. If you feel inclined to do so, to help maintain relations, you could offer to contribute something (£100 or so, it's up to you) but make sure you say it is only as a gesture of goodwill and not because you accept any liability for the damage or for the new fence. Best, WB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your quick reply. I'd already considered making an offer of between £100 -200 in writing after I've seen the actual bill, but I'll point out that it's a gesture of goodwill and not an admittance of liability as you've pointed out. Thank you for this advice as I now feel more confident in dealing with the issue. Can I update you when I've spoken to the neighbour etc? Brenda
Hi - yes of course, many thanks. Please leave a rating for my answer. Best, WB
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you