How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Have put a hedge down the right hand side of my house as the

This answer was rated:

have put a hedge down the right hand side of my house as the gales have downed the fence.My neighbour wants to replace witha fence and also to move the boundary in another foot
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. What justification is there for moving your boundary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he says it on his deeds but I think my house was built before his and the ground is built about a foot above mine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he told me he wanted a fence because he has a dog but he owns the house and he actually lives in the next village.renting his property out to someone who has a cat.
Do you have your deeds or the written advice from your solicitor at the time of purchase? Have you looked this up on the land registry you see what is shown on the title plan (Although this is only indicative?). Also how long was your fence where it was?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a copy of the plans.I have lived here for 10 years and the fence was in situ then . thank you for the idea to look on the land registry.I just did not. know where to start
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don. t have the deeds as I still have a mortgage with my son as guarantor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(because of my age)
If you had the land for over 20 years then you may well be able to claim it irrespective of the original position through adverse possessin (ie squatter's rights). Folwothis link for the basics on this. I
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your help. my neighbour has lived here since the houses were built in 1980.She says that originally there was a stone wall that fell down and the people who built the ten houses(5 for rent ,5 for sale ) put the fence up along the whole boundary that includes 6 houses and the communal car park. This man has since died so I cannot ask him. I will get a plan of the land next door when I receive my pension. My apologies if I am not explaining things clearly.
You are explainng things clearly. One way of resolving boundary disputes is to approach the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and jointly appoint a surveyor to look at the boundary, research the documents to come to a view as to where the true boundary lies. But remember wherever the original boundary lies you may well have gained ownership of h ladn through adverse possession. I would be grateful if you would please rate my answers as I will not get credited for my time on this if you do not. It will not close the question and I will continue to answer further questions.
LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is too late the men have started laying the fence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried to submit a rate for your help but I seem unabie to send it