How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

I have a Tenancy agreement an unfurnished dwelling

This answer was rated:

I have a Tenancy agreement for letting an unfurnished dwelling on an assured short hold tenancy under part 1 of the housing Act 1988 with a charity and as such it is has a social housing rate in terms of rent. I have been here for 6 and a half years. The properties (there are 24) require a major over hall, which they are now intending to do. However to pay for it they intend to make the properties private and rent at market rates which will mean an increase of 100 percent. They say this is the only way they can pay for the renovations. In the meantime we have the option to stay and pay the new rents but while they are renovating we will have to move out and make our own arrangements in terms of where we stay and where we store our property. I am wanting to know if I have any options, protection or recourse?
Hello - what was the original fixed term of your tenancy please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6 months/years it says but it does not seem anyone distinguished between the choices on the agreement when it was sent.
Hello. I expect it was intended to be for 6 months which is standard. Either way, if you pay your rent monthly, you will now be on a statutory periodic tenancy, which technically renews each month. The landlord can terminate the tenancy on giving two months' notice and does not need any reason to do so. Accordingly, the reality is that if you do not cooperate with them in terms of the refurbishment or agree to the rent increase, they can evict you. I am afraid you have no tenant's rights or protections in the circumstances. Sorry! Best, wb
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you