How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7049
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

My name is ***** ***** have rented my house to my sister

This answer was rated:

Hi ,my name is ***** ***** have rented my house to my sister in law we would like her to move out as we would like to sell the house ,we served her with a section 21 notice but when she took it to the council they said it was invalid because on the agreement it says she paid a deposit but she did not,we wrote a leeter to the council and both signed it stating she did not pay a deposit but they said we need a court order.
Local councils tend to be very difficult about rental agreements between relatives. They have limited housing available and will make the landlord apply for a possession order from the local court before considering that the tenant is homeless .Most local authorities will require a court order for possession to be obtained whether a deposit is paid or not , or whether there is any written agreement.Your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to help with the legal papers.I hope this helps , if there are any further points please respond I will be happy to reply.Best wishesMichael
Michael Holly and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you