How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35214
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a joint tenant on 5 rental properties with both my

This answer was rated:

I am a joint tenant on 5 rental properties with both my parents named as well.
Can my parents change it to tenancy in common against my will and if so how is the property divided? Equally or based on who put how much into buying it?
HIThank you for your questionYes your parents can serve Notice of Severance and change the ownership to Tenants in Common - your agreement is not necessary.However if they want to claim more than equal shares then either you must agree or they must apply to the court to determine the sharesPlease ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you