How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am the free holder on a house which was divided into 2 flats

This answer was rated:

I am the free holder on a house which was divided into 2 flats (one up one down)
I rent out the first floor and my landlord insurance is only for my floor. The person downstairs refuses to give me a copy of her insurance. (I am not even sure she has one)
As the freeholder I will need insurance for the whole property?
Kind Regards
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Just to be clear - you as freeholder must have insurance for the whole building.The tenant can't have building insurance, only contents - the Landlord MUST have buildings.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im not referring to my tenant in my first floor flat. I'm referring to the lease holder on the ground floor flat on the building (which is a house). Do I still need to get Buildings insurance for the whole building or is the lease holder responsible for her property and me mine even though I am the freeholder?
Yes.You must have buildings insurance, no one else can get that apart from FreeholderDoes that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I get landlords building insurance for both flats even though I don't own downstairs flat?
If I lived upstairs and didn't rent it out then would I get normal buildings insurance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh I can I charge her half the cost?
You will ONLY get Buildings insurance which covers the whole property. She, as a leasholder can't get buildings insurance. She doenst own the property, you are the freeholderSo yes you can charge half.Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes thank you.
Good luckAlexIf this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you