How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I did a massive renovation on a house and it went badly from

This answer was rated:

I did a massive renovation on a house and it went badly from the start. Mid-project, I fired my architect/contract administrator and hired a new contract administrator to take over. The builder was taking so long that we finally terminated the contract with the builder, took back the house, and began a big legal battle with the builder. At that point, my contract administrator abandoned me, likely because he was afraid that we were going to go after him. We finally came to a settlement with the builder, and now, 7 months later, my contract administrator has sent me a bill. In my opinion, he failed to complete several tasks on his original scope of works, and I have no intention of paying him that final amount. My question is: what is the next step for me, i.e., what is the proper procedure for my not paying? Do I need to send him something like pay less notice?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Was there a contract written? How much is owing?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When is a good time to chat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was/is a proposal, which I accepted and signed.
how much is owing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he is in breach of contract. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the person must act with all reasonable skill and care.Therefore if the person didnt do what they were contracted to do then no, you dont need to pay.Therefore you can refuse to pay - all they can do is take you to a small claims Court.As such, the ball is in your Court you dont need to payCan I clarify anything for you about this today?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to send him formal notification that I'm not going to pay? What does it need to say? We don't have a formal contract that tells me all of this, only a scope of works that I signed and accepted.
You just need to write and say because of X,y,z he is in breach of contract and as such you are not paying.He didn't do what was agreed.