How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

The property next door to me has recently been purchased

Customer Question

Hi, the property next door to me has recently been purchased by new tenants, i am on the right of the house, they have cut down and removed the hedge row and trees between the houses without informing me, can they do this. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Who owns the land please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a tenant and the owner of this property which consists of 3 separate flats is a private landlord, i reside in the bottom flat which directly looks onto the new tenants property next to the house i reside in, they are property developers and have plans to make the house into flats.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
The land which the trees have been cut down, who owns that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know whether the trees, hedges belongs to the new tenants as they formed a boundary between the 2 houses and as i mentioned the house i live in, the hedges, trees were to the right of the house i rent, as there were no boundary walls, fencing just the hedges, trees.
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Ok - if it is THEIR boundary then yes they can do this.If it is your boundary or a shared boundary then no they can NOT do this.So you really need to check. I would speak to the landlord/freeholder - it may be that they need to take actionBut as to whether they can do this, really depends on who that land is owned by.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex