How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2457
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

My parents have inherited my brothers property when

Customer Question

My parents have inherited my brothers property when he passed away 5 years ago. The property has a charge on it which is causing us a problem in terms of selling it. The charge is from Post Office Counters Ltd.
I have written a couple of times to the Post Office regarding this but have never received a response.
The charge was put on back in 1994, nearly 30 years ago, the last letter my brother received from them was in February 2002, since then no communication has been received.
I would like to have the charge removed so we can sell the property but I'm not sure what I can do with this charge on the property.
Many thanks,
P. Patel
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDid you write to the address given on the Land Registry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clair,Thanks for responding, the office no longer existed so I wrote to Royal Mail.I actually managed to get through to the legal department of Royal Mail yesterday and managed to speak to their head of para legal. He has asked me to send all relevant documents to him and he will find the rite person that needs to deal with it.Thanks,Prakash.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
What was the debt for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi,The debt was for repayment of monies stolen, the amount owed was 89k.The charge has been on the property since 1996 and the last contact was made from Consignia back in 2002. Since then there has been no communication.Any advice appreciated.Thanks,Prakash.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Are you dealing with Royal Mail - or with the Post Office?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We will be dealing with Post Office Counters Ltd...
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You have mentioned speaking to Royal Mail - have you phoned Post Office Counters at all?