How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I want to buy a piece of land. It is around one acre and has

This answer was rated:

I want to buy a piece of land. It is around one acre and has an uplift clause which was put in place by the previous owner, not the one I'm buying from. I haven't seen the legal document as they can't find it.
I have spoken to the previous owner and she said 'it is negotiable' based on planning permission being granted to build a house on the land.
I feel this is very vague.
What should I do?
Hi,To enable the previous owner to enforce any agreement if you were to obtain planning permission for development purposes, this must have been signed by her and the current owner, as well as registering an entry on the Land Registry Deeds.Indeed, it may well be that the Land Registry hold a copy of the agreement. Not sure how far along the process you have gone, but I would therefore hope that the Seller's Solicitor would be able to obtain a copy of the agreement and provide one to you/your Solicitor.If no copy of the agreement can be found (which would be very unusual), you would need to tread very carefully and you should insist on the previous owner clarifying the terms of it.However, as I have said, I am sure the Solicitor will be able to locate the Agreement!I hope this assists.Kind RegardsAl
Hi Jane,Can I assist you any further?Kind RegardsAl
Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you