How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been a tenant since may 1995, I signed a shorthold

This answer was rated:

I have been a tenant since may 1995, I signed a shorthold tenancy for the years 1995-1996 and 1996-1997. After that I have not signed any tenancy, I have over the years I have received a landlord`s notice proposing a new rent under an Assured Periodic tenancy of premises situated in England. Now they are sending letters informing me my rent will increase as my current tenancy is due to end, Do I have to sign them, (same landlord)
Hello Ray my name is ***** ***** I will help you.How long was your tenancy for please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 year ,the last agreement was for the year 1996 to1997 I have not sign one since, this year I will have been here 21 years
ok. Has your rent ever increased?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Every couple of years. But last year they asked me to sign a letter to confirm my years tenancy. Which they never asked before. Do I need to sign it? Are they trying to get me out due to the tenancy ending . Ray
Well Ray they could do that anyway. If your main fixed period has ended then they are entitled to end your tenancy and give you two months notice.So in reality based on what you have said it makes no difference one way or another whether you sign it.If you don't they could get you out if they wanted to and if you do, then yhey could get you out.What you need is a new tenancy agreement for a fixed period to give you security.Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you