How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Dir sir/madam I purchased a free hold 3 bedroom town house

Customer Question

Dir sir/madam
I purchased a free hold 3 bedroom town house in london in july 2006, the conveyancing firm carried out the searches and followed on the whole transaction up until completion. I then receive a ground rent statement from a management company claim that I have to pay ground rent/ conveyancing firm never brought to my attention that there is a management company that I need to pay ground rent to. That's been said I checked on land registry form where it clearly states that towerhamlet council state that this is a free hold property.How could I enter a dispute?
Is it possible that they sold me the property under freehold title with another contract that binds me to pay ground rent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I would be happy to chat, but are you happy to provide me with your address, so I can do some investigation with with the Land registry?Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is 2 printers mews
Old ford road
E3 5NZ
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Apologies for the delay.I have now been able to check the position with the Land Registry.I can confirm that the property is Freehold, BUT it is subject to a Rentcharge, which means you are responsible for paying a yearly amount to a third party (this will be the demand you have received).If your Solicitor did not advise you of this yearly charge at the time of your purchase, they may have been negligent and you may therefore have a claim against them.I therefor suggest that you correspond further with your Solicitors, and if you are not happy with what they say, you should take independent legal advice from another Solicitor firm, with a view to pursuing a claim against the Solicitors who acted for you in your purchase.I hope this assists you. Kind RegardsAl