How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have 3 fence panels (5ft tall) that have fallen down in my

Customer Question

I have 3 fence panels (5ft tall) that have fallen down in my back garden to the left of my property.I have had to remove them and dispose of them. I had the fence panels erected 2 years ago. Prior to this was 3 ft chicken wire type fencing.
My neighbour now wants me to replace them. I don't have the funds right now. Do I legally have to replace them? Am I obligated too?
There seems to be conflicting views on this matter.....
Please help, I'm feeling very intimidated and they are threatening to get their solicitor involved if I don't put up a fence.
Kind regards
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. The answer to this will depend on a few things. Are you the owner of the property? If so I assume this is the fence that is your obligation to maintain. Are you able to access the conveyancing documents from when you purchased, in particular the report on property from your solicitor. If so you should check to see if there is any particular requirement placed on you as to the nature of fencing you must maintain, I suspect not bearing in mind the former fencing. If there is no particular restriction then you can put up whatever kind of fencing you like.