How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10733
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have inherited a property form my mother who has past away,

Customer Question

I have inherited a property form my mother who has past away, I have a lease in her name, the freeholder changed before my mother passed but the lease has not got the new freeholders details on it is still the old freeholders name and address from 1987. Is this still a legally binding lease? Also How do I go about changing it so it has my name and the current freeholders?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.Please be rest assured all is Ok- the original Lease can not be amended to show either your name or the new Freeholder's name, and nor does it have to be, to remain legal. Your Mother, and now you, have the security of the terms of the Lease from when it was granted, and it automatically binds the new Freeholder.All you will need to do is to serve Notice on the new Freeholder to confirm that you are the new Leaseholder, and he can then update his records so that any future ground rent demands are addressed to you (if you are indeed keeping the property as opposed to selling it).I hope this assists and sets out the legal position to you.Kind RegardsAl
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Can I assist you any further?Kind RegardsAl
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you.Kind RegardsAl