How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a tenant,3-4 yrs. refusing to communicate through mob

This answer was rated:

I have a tenant,3-4 yrs. refusing to communicate through mob phone,text or email and even personaly through relatives and they now owe me approx. £1680 in rent arrears ! the property is mortgaged and i wondered how much it would cost for a solicitors letter to be sent to the tenant advising them of my intention to retreive this money unless they bring the rent up to date in which case they will have the option of leaving the property or remaining ( negotiable )
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,
For now please let me know what type of tenancy and how many months they are in arrears please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Short hold tenancy....3 months. In arrears non-deposit tenancy began in 2012
Assured Shorthold?Now periodic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Periodic, I would have thought, the original agreement has never been renewed and has been in force since 2012
Ok - in that case may I ask why you havent protected the deposit as its periodic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I have said before, No deposit paid at the beginning,so no deposit for return at the end I wasn't sure what you meant when you said "periodic"
Thank you yes. If the tenant is more than 2 months in arrears you can issue what is called a Section 8 notice. You can find this online and it requires your tenant to pay up within 14 days or you will go to Court.In any event as its a rolling tenancy you can serve a S.21 notice giving the tenant 2 months to leave, regardless of whether the tenancy has been breached.If the tenant does not comply you can seek possession from the Court. You can use form N5: Court will set the matter down and decide whether to give possession, but the Court will only do this if you have served a S.8 or S.21 notice.You can find free templates for these online.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Does that assist?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much Alex, a sec.8. Is actually under consideration at the moment but I wanted to explore and see if there were any intermediary measures I could take.....Thankyou
No its a S,8 notice.
Does that clarify? If so might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today, so the site credits me for the time spent with you. Thanks.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes S 8 ....( section 8 )
Good luck. Alex