How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My neighbour constantly parks in front of my garage, whilst

This answer was rated:

My neighbour constantly parks in front of my garage, whilst I do not put my car in my garage I do unload things from my car in my garage. We have asked him politely not to park there, but he refuses to move it. He says it's a public highway and can legally park there. I have told him we have access rights and he is blocking this, what can we do?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Is he garage located there as well please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he has 2 parking spaces allocated outside his house but he has 4 cars. Myself and another neighbour have 1 garage each and one parking space outside our fri t door?
So he is blocking your access? Is it a road outside and if so, is there a dropped kerb?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi yes it is a road and there is a dropped kerb. I have told him he is blocking my access. His response was that I don't park my car in there, so I don't need access.
Have you reported this to the Council?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would, this could be considered an obstruction and they could take action.If not then you could seek an injunction yourself. You should get a Solicitor to write and ask them to stop parking or say you will get an injunction.If they do not then you can seek an injunction to stop blocking access. You would need to complete form N1: Court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to grant an order. If the Court does and they breach it, this is contempt of Court which they could be warned, fined or sent to prison
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Alex, so do i need to try the council route first or could I just move forward with a solicitors letter? (do you provide these?) does it not matter that I don't actually park my car in my garage, but I do not want his van blocking access in case I do want to access it, i just want to be clear on my rights? thanks
I would try the council route first as its free, if its a highway.Then try a Solicitor letter.
Does that help?Alex
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you