How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1386
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I am trying to buy out my ex-husband from our shared property

Customer Question

I am trying to buy out my ex-husband from our shared property but the property has a charge over it, registered at the Land Registry which needs to be settled first.
The problem is that the charge was put on by a company which appears to have been dissolved but the solicitors who acted for this company say they believe the assets of the company were transferred elsewhere but they do not know where.
The Land Registry still show the original company as being the beneficiary, so my question is ;-
Is it possibly and legal that this has happened, does it matter that the Land Registry details have not been updated and most importantly if the charge still stands is there a way that I can find out who the new beneficiary is?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please continue to search for an answerregardsSusan
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Dear ***** Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and I can assist you with your query. When a company is dissolved - its assets including the charge on your property pass to the crown. This is then dealt with by the Bona Vacantia Division (BVD) of the government. BVD has a duty to obtain market value for bona vacantia assets. In the case of charges, this will involve collecting the full amount outstanding, including any interest. Once any outstanding amounts have been repaid, BVD will consent to the removal of the charge from the title to the property. If BVD are satisfied that no money remained outstanding when the company was dissolved, they will provide a letter stating that there is no bona vacantia interest. This may help you apply to the Land Registry to remove the charge from the title. However, you must provide sufficient evidence to satisfy them that the charge has been paid off. You can contact the BVD directly so that they may assist you: Bona Vacantia - CompaniesGovernment Legal DepartmentPO Box 70165 LondonWC1A***@******.*** 7210 4700 Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for helping you today