How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Im currently renting a flat since November 17th 2015, this

This answer was rated:

Im currently renting a flat since November 17th 2015, this flat was recently converted illegal by my current landlord. I've applied for housing benefit to pay for my rent but the property I'm renting, 3b chilthorne court, has not be registered or recognised because it wasn't converted ilegally. My landlord didn't get planning permission to divide the house to flats and in the last 5months of living at this address the ceiling has fell in, the house has had a leak. I've asked for the landlord to evict me which I'm still waiting for an eviction notice. Is there any way I can get the rent I've paid back or any rent arrears dismissed due the property not being a registered building? or can i get the rent reduced due to lack of kitchen ceilings and leakage during the time I've lived at this property.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my tenancy is a years tenancy with a guarantor and the estate agent is sending my landlord debit letters, are they allowed to send my guarantors debt letters
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.How much have you paid please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ive paid £38
For rent for the flat........ Is it money YOU have paid or benefit in rent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've paid for my rent so far with savings, benefit cannot pay because its not a registered home/flat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if the property is not registered do i have to pay to rent?
Yes I have asked how much have you paid in rent? Is it £38?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£1600 per month
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry but you didn't answer my question
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still living in the property so can the landlord so i owe him rent?
if the property is not registered do i have to pay to rent? The answer is noThe landlord can not gain money by FRAUD which is what this is.Does that clarify?ALex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes thank you.
Can I clarify anything else for you?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is my landlord allowed to send letters to my guarantor asking for payment?
No. This is an illegal tenancy so guarantor is not liable.Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im finished
Can I clarify anything else?Alex
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the system does not credit me for the time spent with you. Good luck. Alex
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you