How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12174
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I been in my property years. The purchase from the previous

This answer was rated:

I been in my property for 2 years. The purchase from the previous owner involved transferring part of the overall title he owned. Basically he sold the barn (and curtilage) but retained the wider 6 acres for himself (consisting of farmland and some outbuildings).
He moved in rented accommodation yet we are still receiving post in his name under our address (the barn) and he is refusing to tell relevant parties about his new address. He believes he has a right to use the same address as us, despite that fact the in council and Royal Mail terms, the delivery point is the only rateable property on site, our barn.
I'm worried that should he be liable for any debt or be the subject of any CCJ this would be in his name but under my address.
I do not want bailiffs or any other individuals on my door looking for him but I believe I have limited recourse legally to "force" him to use his actual address.
The barn is behind some large gates that I own, but that unfortunately I cannot lock due to a public footpath. What I'd like to know is, if I where to put a sign on my gates stating his new address - e.g. "ATTENTION. Any enquiries for Mr X should now be directed to the following address ..." is there any legal reason I can't do this or could he have any legal position to take to force me take the sign down?
Any alternative advice welcome!
Firstly note that CCJs are relevant to name and not address and won't affect your own credit rating even if at your address. Secondly, if you know the previous owners address, send his mail back to sender but put his new address in so that the sender gets his new address whether he likes it or not. Thirdly there is nothing to stop you putting up a notice. It should say that he no longer stays at your address and that no mail will be accepted for him you can also put his new address on the notice. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you