How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7072
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I am looking to get advice as to what should be considered

This answer was rated:

I am looking to get advice as to what should be considered the original dwelling.
A farmhouse and nearby barn on a plot of land was split into two separate plots (farm and barn) via land registry title deed in 1955. Both of these are now separate dwellings. The local council can find no permission or records relating to this split.
For the sake of planning permissions should the barn "original dwelling" be the barn buildings (plus any outbuildings within 5 meters) as they existed on 1st July 1948 or the barn buildings at the point it can be proved it was being used as a separate dwelling to the house?
Via the electoral roll we can show evidence of two separate dwelling's from at least 1959.
The local planning officer has taken the view that the original dwelling is from the point it can be proved to be a separate dwelling and not the buildings as they existed on 1st July 1948. Is this correct?
I agree with the planning officer as a dwelling is by definition where someone lives or dwells.The records show the barn being used as a dwelling for the first time in 1959.If there are any further points please reply and I will be happy to respond Best regardsMichael
Michael Holly and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you