How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My neighbour has some trees growing on our borderline, but

This answer was rated:

My neighbour has some trees growing on our borderline, but on his property.
However the roots are growing through into my garden and within approximately 5ft of my house. I am worried about them causing substantial damage... I have tried talking to him, but he says the trees were there before me. What rights do I have?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.For now please let me know whether you have had a survey done at all please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You should get this done. This will set out if there is any risk and what level of risk. You can then ask the neighbour to trim the tree or do whatever is required in the surveyor report.If they refuse then you can get a Solicitor to write and ask them to carry out the work.If they refuse further you could seek a Court order. You would need to complete form N1: N16a Court would list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make the neighbour carry out work as recommended in the surveyor report.If the Court orders it and neighbour refuses this could be contempt of Court which they may be warned, fined or sent to prisonCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to know where I stood legally without going to further expense.
Happy to help and good luck. Alex