How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2457
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I have been renting a property past 7+ years but the

Customer Question

I have been renting a property for the past 7+ years but the landlord prefers not to have a contract between us. Legally, how does this affect me? Am I in a stronger position without a contract? Should I insist on a contract being drawn up?
I don't know if this is relevant, but he has given me permission to sublet, so I have lodgers with whom I have lodgers contracts (Residential Licence: Lodger).
Please refer to my earlier questions for details...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
I presume the landlord doesn't live with you? You live in a self contained property without the landlord?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that's right.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
What is your goal? Do you want to be able to leave early or to stay for longer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stay for longer, ensure my rights as a tenant are upheld.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
If you are living in a self contained property otherwise than with your landlord then you are on a periodic tenancy agreement. You are not a lodger. You cannot force him to give you an AST but if he will agree then that would grant you greater security of tenure although they can be brought to an end ultimately. Otherwise though your rights are basically the same. The only difference with a periodic agreement is that a landlord can end it at any time by serving a S21 notice giving you two months notice but then equally you can leave without liability too which might be useful. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's great, you have answered my question.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
No problem.All the bestPlease remember to rate my answer