How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

I am looking to buy a property which will become the main residence

Customer Question

I am looking to buy a property which will become the main residence for my my wife and myself. My wife currently owns a number of properties which she rents out and our current main residence in her name only. The new house will be in my name only but we will not be selling our current main residence as my mother in law will be moving in to it.
I have been advised that I do not need to pay the new higher rate of SDLT on the new property but I am looking for further opinion
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello. If you are buying the house in your sole name and you do not personally own any other properties, then your solicitor is correct and you need only pay the standard SDLT rate on your purchase. The additional rate would only apply if you also owned another property or if you and your wife were buying the new house together.
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Best, WB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, to be clear, as long as my wife's properties stay in her name only and the new property stays in my name only they can be considered separately and the fact that we are married does not take precedence?