How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

We're considering buying an empty plot of land and then sectioning

This answer was rated:

We're considering buying an empty plot of land and then sectioning off some of this land, getting planning permission for a home, and selling this plot. We would do this in order to finance the build of our own home on the rest of the land.
Could anyone tell me if this would be subject to Capital Gains? We would live in the second house for a long time, but don't know if the gain would have to be reported in-between, as we wouldn't be living there, or if it would count as reinvestment.
Hello. You wouldn't pay CGT on the sale of the second house, as it would be your primary residence and those are exempt from CGT. However, you would be liable to pay CGT on any profit you make on the sale of the first plot, even if you plan to reinvest this in building you own house. Best, WB.
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you