How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

When we moved into our house 4 years ago our neighbour already

This answer was rated:

when we moved into our house 4 years ago our neighbour already had an open fence of 4ft ajoining our garden from the back on the right hand side..... they now want to put a higher blocked fence there. I have tried to compromise with them regarding this matter but all they say is that it's their garden and they'll do as they like.... Can I object to concrete footings on small area of my garden
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Just to be clear the footing will be on your land?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what can I do?
Ok, then you can object to it. If they start to work you can seek an injunction to stop them. But the area would need to be more than currently is on your land.You would need to complete forms N1: N16a: Court will set the matter down and decide whether to grant an injunction. If the Court does and the neighbour breaks it, this could be contempt of Court which they could be warned, fined or sent to prison.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean more than is currently on my land ?
If there is currently footings across the border, they can remain. But if not then they cant put newer footings on your land that occupies more land than before.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes thanks ! from the back of my garden looking back towards the house am I responsible for the right or left ?
Unless its in your deeds, its a joint boundary. Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it needs to be a joint decision for any work to take place ?
Yes, unless otherwise noted in your deeds. Or marked on the title plan with a T.Does that clarify?Alex
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank Alex !!!
Thank you! Good luck. Alex