How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10777
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have a question please regarding my will. Twelve

This answer was rated:

I have a question please regarding my will.
Twelve years ago I employed a solicitor to write my will, together with an additional 'letter of wishes', setting out my wishes regarding funeral arrangements, to accompany the will. I would now like to cancel both of these documents, since my circumstances have changed. I then intend to have a completely new will written.
I would be grateful if you could please advise me as to what action I should take in order to revoke the will and the 'letter of wishes' that were written twelve years ago?
I have kept both of these original documents in a safe place for the past twelve years. The will states that I have appointed the firm of solicitors who wrote the will for me to be the executors and trustees of my will. Should I therefore contact the firm of solicitors concerned in order to cancel this arrangement?
Many thanks and best wishes,
Lucy Walsh
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.Your existing Will remains valid until you physically destroy it (the Solicitor who holds the Will is not entitled to destroy it, even if you ask him to) or you make a new Will.Upon signing your new Will, your old Will becomes automatically revoked.I would therefore suggest that you retrieve your Will from your Solicitors office and make a new Will just as soon as you are able.I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl
Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Al. Thank you for your help and advice. Much appreciated.
Hi Lucy,You're welcome.Best WishesAl