How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We let a house through a letting agent to a DSS tenant and

This answer was rated:

We let a house through a letting agent to a DSS tenant and the rent is now over 6 months in arrears. Trading Standards tell me that the letting agent is still trading but the address is a postal one only as they recently closed their offices. How do I get the tenant evicted and recover the arrears?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.I am not sure why you are worried about the letting agent? Are they holding onto the tenants money and just havent paid you?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the tenant has paid the letting agent and I'm concerned that they are going out of business
Ok - thats ok. You need to therefore serve a notice to quit to the tenant. This is a S.8 notice assuming that they have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.You also should serve a S.21 notice which is to say you want the property back.If they dont comply with that notice then after 2 weeks you can apply to the Court for possession.The Court will list the matter and decide whether to give possession.If the Court does then they can be evicted. For more help please see: I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. What about the arrears of rent we are owed as the letting agent is responsible for that?Regards
You can ask for Judgment for the arrears. Sadly it sounds like the tenant is responsible as you just have very poor agents.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** get the S.1 and S.21 notices online or do I have to get them done by a solicitor?Regards
S.8 and S.21, you can do these yourself.Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I find copies?Regards
Phyllis that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll look at those sitesRegards
Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll do that. Before I go, is the S.8 form applicable in Scotland? On the second link you sent, it says only England and WalesRegards
Sorry let me get the right for the confusionDoes that help?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThat link does not work, I'm afraid, can you try resending it pleaseMany thanks
Try this:
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, that's greatKind regards
Good luck. Alex