How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I moved out of the house in the end of last month

This answer was rated:

I moved out of the house in the end of last month that I have rented for a year. Few days later I have received
a copy of an email from the agent that they have found some damage in the property, mainly cracks on the
ceiling and also damage to the guttering on garage.
I told them that cracks were there when I moved in. The guttering has been damaged by the strong wind which
blown off a big barrel that they have been using for collecting water from the guttering. And that was it.
I have been waiting for an answer for couple of weeks and decided to call back and check. When I spoken to an
agent two days ago, she said that the landlord says that his property is damaged. The cracks on the ceiling are due to me growing cannabis in the loft and he`s got the proof.
I haven`t been growing anything there and I dont know how to do it. I dont do drugs at all and I even drink
very rarely. So they called to police who wants to speak to me now (an officer left me a voicemail asking to
call back).
Cracks were there when I moved. The agency were checking the property every 2-3 month while I was living there.
They have been bringing people on two occasions in the last month of my tenancy and nobody has shown any
concerns until when I moved out.
The landlord is cheap, he promised to help me to cut bushes in the garden and never done that. There has also
been a problem with gas fire which he was suppose to fix, but never done it in 3 month... The property gets very humid and results in appearance of mould.
I have never signed the inventory because I have never received it. But I can see from the copy they have sent
me now, that there were no pictures of the ceiling... (just ceiling lights).
What should I expect from police? What should I say? Do I need a solicitor?
Also does this mean that I have lost my deposit?
Thank you
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Why are the police involved please?How much was your deposit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the voicemail that police left, they are saying they want to speak to me about the damage that I have caused. When I spoken to a letting agent, she said that landlord says that I was growing cannabis in the loft and that is why there are cracks on his ceiling. (they arent huge cracks or holes or anything)...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my deposit was £675.
It's a civil matter, the police shouldn't do anything.You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why the police involved then please? And what about his allegations that I have been growing cannabis there? I`m just really worried now as I`m feeling I`ve been set up.What do you mean by "set out your losses" please? Sorry if its stupid question, Im just complete newbie in all this...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also should I send a signed letter or should I open a dispute at the deposit holder`s website?
I don't know, if it's damage its a civil dispute. If you haven't been growing drugs then don't worry.None of this is your fault And can't be proven.You need to write and ask for your deposit back.Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thank you.
How do I write the letter please? Do I give explanation on all the damages that they are accusing me of and ask for refund? Or just ask for refund and thats it?
Are there any good letter templates online etc that you could advice?Thank you
Yes just give an explanation on damages and ask for a refund, that is it. Sadly there wont be a template online as each situation is difference.Can I clarify anything else?Alex
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Just have spoken to police today on the phone. They have said that the landlord filed allegations against me (that I have been growing cannabis in the loft and damaged his ceiling). I told them that I haven`t and it is totally unexceptable for the landlord make such allegations. But now they want me to come to police station so they can file everything that I say on paper. I have nothing to hide, but why would they take it further? should I take a lawyer with me?Thank you
Yes you can take a Solicitor with you.