How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10733
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My wife owns our house in her name only, I want to buy a property

This answer was rated:

My wife owns our house in her name only, I want to buy a property in my sole name, it will be the only property in my name, will I be liable for the higher rate of stamp duty?
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.For Stamp Duty purposes, a married couple is seen as one individual. Hence, as you will own 2 properties between you on the day you complete the purchase, you will be liable to the higher rate, I'm afraid.The daft thing is that if you were not married or in a civil partnership, you would be free to purchase and pay the standard rate!Sorry his is not the answer you were looking for.If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.Kind RegardsAl
Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you