How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A plumber installed a new bathroom suite in my top storey

This answer was rated:

hi. A plumber installed a new bathroom suite in my top storey flat and it has flooded the downstairs neighbour.He has refused me entry to inspect the damage which he claims is severe. My insurer says I am NOT covered for repairs to his property. Who is liable ? the plumber or me ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Do you have or does the freeholder have buildings insurance pleaseAlex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have buildings insurance including escape of water but have been told it only covers damage to my flat, not other premises. A bit odd in a block of flats !!
What does the policy wording say? What about the freeholder, do they have insurance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An exclusion to the policy is that they do not pay for faulty workmanship, or faulty materials.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The owner has sub-let the flat for years but I do not know him. He asked for my insurance details but surely by law he must have landlords insurance.
Ok - if you are not covered and the Plumber was negligent then you can sue the Plumber.If the Plumber was not negligent and you are not covered by insurance then you are liable.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally, should have I been allowed to see exactly what damage had been caused ? The landlord said the flat was uninhabitable, but the tenant has not moved out and had friends around last night. he is there tonight too. I am of the opinion that he will grossly inflate a claim against me as I know that the flat is run down inside and has not bee decorated for many years.
You need evidence and a survey. Without that you are not liable to make ANY payments.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes indeed. Thank you very much for your assistance. It has been much appreciated and eased my mind.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you