How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7043
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

I had a leak in my flat which damaged the bathroom in the flat

Customer Question

I had a leak in my flat which damaged the bathroom in the flat below...the leak was fixed quickly.. the damage in the flat below is minimal but the lady downstairs wants me to paint all her bathroom and kitchen as if I paint the damaged area will look better than the rest of the room much am I liable for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Your obligation is to put your neighbour in the position that she would have been in had the leak not occurred. As such you are only obliged to repair the damaged area. If the area you repair looks better than the rest she has the option of painting the rest .If there are any further points please reply.Best wishesMichael