How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a landlord i gave my tenants five year fixed tenancy

This answer was rated:

Hi i am a landlord i gave my tenants five year fixed tenancy however it is coming up three years but need to move back into the property is there anything i can do or do i have to wait the five years
HiDid you give the notice before the entered the tenancy that you may need it back to live in?Are they otherwise in breach of the tenancy ?Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i havent because i dont want to upset them if i cant break the tenancy i have not asked need to know where i stand they might become bad tenants they are good tenants at moment
HiUnfortunately, if you did not serve the tenants with a formal notice that you required or might require the property to live in before they entered the tenancy then there is not much you can do to get possession whilst they remain in compliance with the tenancy. Once an assured shorthold tenancy has been granted there are only a limited number of grounds on which you can get possession back earlier than the end of the fixed term.These grounds are outlined on the following link:this HTML class. Value is http://www.landlordzMost commonly landlords are successful in getting possession of a property with tenants in Ware the tenant is in arrears of rent for two months or where they have allowed the property to fall into considerable disrepair. If the tenants are good tenants then it is unlikely you will be successful in serving notice and then applying to court to get possession back at the moment. However you can offer them a sum of money as a bargaining tool in order to get them to surrender the tenancy but this is not a legal right and it would be up to them whether or not they accept itTom
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you