How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have just moved into a new property [2 weeks ago] as

This answer was rated:

We have just moved into a new property [2 weeks ago] as tenants under an AST. The landlord is refusing to repair the garden shed which cannot be used and is presenting a safety risk. An important factor in selecting this property was this external storage. The shed is explicitly referred to in the marketing particulars and Schedule A [Inventory Report of the Fixtures, Furniture & Fittings] of the AST. The shed was therefore offered as part of the property [fixture] and therefore it is reasonable that the landlord maintains its utility. What are my options e.g. rent abatement, cost recovery of providing a shed myself etc.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What is the cost of repair please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's beyond economic repair. A replacement is £250.
Ok - then you can replace it and sue the Landlord for the cost. You can seek a rent reduction but cant just offset rent. So either way you may need to issue proceedings. You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you