How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12091
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am leaving a private rented property in Perthshire

Customer Question

I am leaving a private rented property in Perthshire Scotland on 1st July. I gave landlord, who is in England and not registered under landlord's registry. Notice immediately. I pay my rent monthly by standing order
She is now saying I have to pay 2 months rent even though I am no longer in the property.
The property is damp and in need of painting and updating. Will I also be able to get my deposit back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

When did the lease start, for how long and what does the lease say about giving notice? Is the deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme? Separately, are you saying the landlord isn't registered with the local authority?