How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My neighbour and i have had side by side garages 35years and

This answer was rated:

my neighbour and i have had side by side garages for about 35years and some years ago ge took his down and moved it back about 6 to 8 feet which of course revealed a section of my garage which is contructed of reinforced concrete sections. He has now made a wooden fence section which he has fixed to the side of my garage and has mounted it by drilling into my garage. He made no mention of this to me especially after the same assaulted me about 5 yrs ago after confronting him over another matter he was involved with. What is my position on this please?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
H i Alex what my concern is that this neighbour has done this without my permission and having seen the results of drilling into reinforced concrete material where after a while the concrete slab can start breaking up around the drill hole especially if if the drill runs into the the steel reinforcement what position would i be in claim about this damage and also is it possible for me to get him to remove this from this side of my garage?, regards ken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
order ID for above question is-: 16363620-970

Do you know the cost?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, i just needed to know my rights in this situation

Ok generally this would be criminal damage and you can report it to the police. They can investigate and prosecute but are likely to consider this a civil matter.

You need to get quotes for getting the work done to put it right, this forms your,loss.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

You can also ask the court for an order that he remove this from the side of the garage, this can form part of the court orders.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you