How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a lodger at my landlady's property. She regularly

This answer was rated:

I am a lodger at my landlady's property. She regularly sends her boyfriend to check up on her house and also to communicate with me. The only problem is, he doesn't actually speak to me in a civilised manner. He has been shouting down at me and humiliating me. He has also accused me of lying when I haven't. This has made me feel very distressed.Today, my question is, do I have to communicate with the landlady's boyfriend or can I refuse to do so? Would it be possible for me to refuse to speak to him, but only have dialogue with my landlady?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Have you told your landlady how you feel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've sent her text messages and explained to her in detail that the way in which he communicates with me is repulsive, rude and dictatorial. I've had conversations with her about his communication skills in private, through text messages and also over the phone.

Why does her boy friend need to speak to you at all - does he live there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does not live there at all. The landlady doesn't even live at her property either. She has a room in the property, but doesn't sleep in it. She has a room with her things in it, and once a week or once every fortnight she comes round to her property to check up on it and fiddle about with the things she has left in her 'storage' room. From time to time, she also asks her boyfriend to check up on the property and have a word with me. Her boyfriend has the keys to her property and can stroll into it anytime she wishes.

How often does the boyfriend call round?

What form of agreement have you signed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say at present, it could be said that he comes here roughly once or twice per month.The landlady had made me sign a lodger's agreement, but has not given me a copy of this agreement.

I assume you do not wish to leave the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. If you don't have any answers at the moment, just let me know. I'll keep this feed open and return to it at a later date. My main question was, if this landlady's boyfriend has been harassing me, am I entitled to refuse to speak to him? He does not own the property. It belongs to the landlady.

Your landlady is entitled to ask her boyfriend to act as her agent.

Having said that only she can give you notice to quit (unless she gives her boyfriend written authority to do so.

I would suggest that you write a formal letter of complaint to her about the way that he speaks to you and say that unless she confirms in writing that she has authorised him to speak to you in this way then you will in future refuse to respond to him

Of course this may mean that you are given notice to quit.

At that stage you may be able to challenge the fact that you are not a lodger but a tenant since she is not actually resident at the property - and I assume that the bills are in your name

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The bills aren't in my name. They are all in her name. If you think I'm in a weak or vulnerable position, I'll either have to work around these issues or leave the property at some stage I guess.She has a room which she uses as a storage facility. She doesn't actually reside and sleep here. When she does come here, she uses the kitchen and rummages around her storage room. This I can confirm with honesty.

Sadly if the bills are not in your name you are vulnerable I am afraid

Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is fine. I was searching for impartial and honest advice. A blunt answer is what I was looking for. :-)

You are most welcome - good luck