How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

A flat we manage suffered damage of £350 due to a leak from

This answer was rated:

Hi, a flat we manage suffered damage of £350 due to a leak from the flat above that occurred over a week. The tenant also sustained some loss of property, say £100. The owners of the flat above is a Housing Association. They advise me to claim via the landlords insurance, unfortunately the owners insurance as expired. I am considering the use of the small claims procedure to recover our losses.

What was the cause of the leak please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
leaking water pipe (under the hot water tank).

Do you know if the tenant reported it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tenant in the top flat was not aware of the leak till our tenant told her on the 26/5/16 completed on the 6/6/16. Some confusion as the repair required the attention of first a plumber then a heating engineer as the pipe concerned was a "heating pipe". The HA Southern Housing have 2 separate maintenance contacts on the properties that they manage which, in my view delayed the repair. The reason I am exploring the small claims route is that a few weeks ago an owner of a flat underneath one we manage threatened to use this same route rather than go down the insurance path. In this case we, after some argument agreed to pay the cost of the damage caused to his flat by the leak from ours (heating pipes were the cause)

If that is right then you do have a claim against them.

It is all very well that you could claim upon insurance but that doesn't mean that the tortfeasor is not liable in law to you in the normal way.

Clearly a housing association is a defendant who can pay the award and the insurance company might well have sued them anyway.

This is perfectly appropriate for the small claims court arena.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo
No this is the answer I wanted, I will drop the term tortfeasor into my next email to them!Many thanksLloyd

No problem

All the best.

Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you