How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I have been considering selling off a slice of our garden

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have been considering selling off a slice of our garden (next to the street) and have done a load of googling but then it occurred to me that as this is a leasehold property, even with the freeholder's consent we wouldn't get the bulk of the money that changes hands. How does it work in this situation? We turned down the freehold a couple of years ago before the current owner of the title started to manage the property. We get on fairly well with him.


Thanks for your question.

I hope I can be of assistance.

On the face of it you cannot sell part of the lease.

You could potentially grant a sub-lease of the garden land. You may need consent of the freeholder. I would need to see the terms of the lease to comment further.

Not easy to advise without the title document and lease. Do you have electronic copies of the title and lease which you can attach to a mail to me?

Kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you. I'm not sure I have an electronic version. I will ask my partner and get back to you.

Thanks. Then I can take a look.

You can buy a copy from the land registry, for title and lease should be less than a tenner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I've checked and I don't think we do have one. Perhaps you can tell me where in the document I should look?

You need to establish that you have title to the land you want to dispose of.

You then need to check if you can grant a sub lease and need the freeholder's consent.

propertylawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I'll look into that.