How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a tenant who has been in my property years, every

This answer was rated:

I have a tenant who has been in my property for 5 years, every year we renew a standard AST, normally with a nominal increase in rent.
Last month, we each committed to another 12 months commencing in July. However, she continues to cause me grief on a number of fronts and I think I want to change my mind.
Can I? As the tenant has not yet started, can I withdraw? If I can, presumably she would revert to a standard period tenancy and I would need to give 2 months notice? What are my liabilities?

Hello my name is,Alex and I will help you.

Was a new agreement signed please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Def. signed otherwise even I know there is no contract. It is signed but doesn't start until July.

by both you and the tenant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the slow reply. There has been a glitch in the just answer system and it kept taking me to the USA site where your question disappears!
Yes, signed by both of us and returned.

Ah ok - its bad news I am afraid. There is no way you can get out of it.

As the tenancy agreement has been signed by both the Tenant and Landlord it is legally binding. If it had not been signed by either party, then it is not binding

But if you are wanted to get out, you can give 2 months notice.

You would be liable for any additional rent for tenant getting elsewhere and additional letting fees.

So you could be sued for breach of contract.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you